ISO 14001:2015 – Environmental Management System
ISO 14001 Environmental Management System (EMS) is a systematic framework to manage the immediate and long term environmental impacts of an organization’s products, services and processes.
Part of the ISO 14000 family of standards on environmental management, ISO 14001 is a voluntary standard that organizations can certify to. Integrating it with other management systems standards, most commonly ISO 9001, can further assist in accomplishing organizational goals.
it is an internationally agreed standard that sets out the requirements for an environmental management system. It helps organizations improve their environmental performance through more efficient use of resources and reduction of waste, gaining a competitive advantage and the trust of stakeholders.
By completing ISO 14001 certification your organization can assure stakeholders that your environmental management system meets international industry specific environmental standards. This certification will help your organization:
- Minimize your environmental footprint
- Diminish the risk of pollution incidents
- Provide operational improvements
- Ensure compliance with relevant environmental legislation, and
- Develop your business in a sustainable manner
The key benefits of being ISO 14001:2015 certified include:
- Identifying cost saving opportunities with greater emphasis on resource, waste and energy management.
- Helping an organization develop a credible corporate image.
- Being intentional about monitoring and controlling the impact of operations on the environment, now and in the future.
- Ensuring legislative awareness and compliance is maintained throughout the organization.
- Improved environmental performance of supply chain i.e. choosing partners who are keen on protecting the environment.
- Helping an organization protect the company, its assets, shareholders and directors.
- It has the potential to decrease public liability insurance costs for your organization
- It creates opportunities for you to grow your access to like minded business partners and potential customers.
Who should implement ISO 14001:2015?
ISO 14001:2015 should be used by any organization that wishes to set up, improve, or maintain an environmental management system to conform with its established environmental policy and requirements.
The requirements of the standard can be incorporated into any environmental management system, but the extent to which is determined by several factors including the organization’s industry, environmental policy, products and service offerings, and location.
ISO 14001:2015 is relevant to all organizations, regardless of size, location, sector, or industry.
Every company large and small (industrial, manufacturing, services, or trade related) has an impact on the environment and can therefore benefit from ISO 14001 certification. Remember, protecting the environment is one of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). To see how international standards can help address the current environmental challenges we are experiencing in the world today, download this pdf document from www.iso.org.
For further queries, get in touch with us.